Date of introduction: 30 July 2015
Rank on Coinmarketcap: 2
Current price: €945
Current circulating supply: 97.000.000 ETH
Total Maximum Supply: Not established
Official Website: https://www.ethereum.org
What is ETH
Ethereum is an open-source, public, blockchain-based distributed computing platform and operating system featuring smart contract(scripting) functionality that runs exactly as programmed without any chance of fraud, censorship or third-party interference. Ethereum was created to do things Bitcoin could not do.
Ether is a cryptocurrency whose blockchain is generated by the Ethereum platform.
- Vitalik Buterin (CEO)
– Founder of Bitcoin Magazine in 2012
– Inventor / Founder of Ethereum in 2013
- Gavin Wood (CTO)
– Inventor of the Smart Contract language ‘’Solidity’’
– Writer of the first yellow paper on Ethereum blockchain for the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM).
Ethereum has an estimated 150 full-time employees
Ethereum has offices in Switzerland (HQ), The Netherlands and Germany
Exchanges offering ETH
Ethereum is a widely adopted cryptocurrency and is available on most, if not all, exchanges, to name a few:
Ethereum has many partnerships with companies ranging from Bp to Mastercard. To see the full list: https://entethalliance.org/members/
- Facilitate scalability
- Improve the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM)
- Increase the speed of the Ethereum network
- The code on the Ethereum blockchain is written in a tamper-proof manner, meaning that the Ethereum blockchain cannot be altered, hacked or tempered with.
- Supports smart-contracts
- Supports Distributed Autonomous Applications (DApps)
- Can be mined
- Many alt-coins depend on the Ethereum network as their ‘’blockchain provider’’. Meaning that if the Ethereum code ever gets compromised, a lot of damage will be done.
ETH VS BTC in a nutshell (video)