Date of introduction: Launched in 2014 as ANT-shares
Rank on Coinmarketcap: 6
Current price: €125,- per NEO
Current circulating supply: 65.000.000 NEO
Total Supply: 100.000.000 NEO
Official Website: https://neo.org
What is NEO
NEO Formerly known as Antshares is the People’s Republic of China’s first ever open source blockchain. Since its founding, NEO’s mission has been to improve and revolutionise the way e-commerce is done. Neo has been designed to get the existing up to date and get it plugged into the new age smart economy. Neo is making use of tech to connect and network people and businesses en masse. The Neo blockchain will implement P2P networking, digital certificates, cross-chain interoperability, Superconducting Transactions and DBFT consensus technologies to effectively execute the management of smart assets within a safe and legally binding framework.
Da Hongfei – Co-founder of Neo
Erik Zhang – Co-founder of Neo & Core Developer of Neo
A total of 16 full-time employees are currently working on NEO
- Headquarter in Shanghai, China
Exchanges offering NEO
- NEO Gas (currency of NEO)
- NEX (NEO’s own platform)
- NEX- NEO plans to launch their own platform (NEX) where a variety of in which they want to combine the NEO blockchain with an off-chain matching engine to enable much faster and more complex trades than existing decentralized exchanges. Note: this is, at time of writing, still pre-ICO.
- Digital Assets-NEO aims to convert traditional assets into digital ones using smart contracts. These digital assets will be decentralized and will be protected by law using digital certificates on the blockchain, which in turn, will guarantee trust.
- Digital Identity– NEO will enable the creation of identity information of organizations, individuals, and entities in electronic form. These identities will be usable via multi-factor authentication mechanisms such as facial recognition, fingerprints, voice recognition, and SMS.
- Smart Contracts–The smart contract platform developed by NEO is truly revolutionary. In NEO, unlike other smart contract platforms, you need not learn a new smart contract language. If you are a developer using C#, Java, or any other mainstream programming language, you can get started right now to code your smart contracts. NEO’s Universal Lightweight Virtual Machine (NeoVM) has the advantage of high certainty, high concurrency, and high scalability for smart contracts based on the blockchain.
- DApps–NEO will support the development of decentralized applications by continuously supporting and developing more mature development tools and techniques. Examples of DApps are smart funds, AI-assisted legal smart contracts, and decentralized exchanges.
- Can show Proof of Stake (POS) to earn NEO Gas
- Quantum computer proof
- Bright looking future
- Has to deal with regulation of Chinese government e.g. banning ICOs
Neo in a nutshell (video)